The Midwest Chapter of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law (MWAAPL) created the Mossman award in honor of Dr.Douglas Mossman, one of the best researchers and educators in the field of forensic psychiatry.
The Mossman Research Award is meant to recognize excellence in forensic psychiatry scholarship. Although applicants do not need to have a connection to the Midwest to qualify for this award, we strongly encourage Midwest applicants. PGY3s,PGY4s, psychiatry fellows and early career forensic psychiatrists (five or less years out of forensic fellowship) are eligible to apply.
This year’s Mossman Research Award stipend will cover the cost of the meeting and one night’s hotel lodging; residents will be responsible for their own transportation and meals outside of the conference.
The application must include:
- The cover letter should indicate they are applying for The MossmanResearch Award. Trainees should also include current training program, training director, and training year. Early career forensic psychiatrists should include place of employment, how many years they are out of training and the name(s)of research mentor(s)
- They must have a letter from their training director and/orforensic psychiatry research mentor nominating the individual. Early career psychiatrists can submit a mentor letter and/or a letter of support from a collaborator if appropriate.
- A statement by the applicant (no longer than 500 words) detailingtheir forensic psychiatry research and scholarship. If the individual has a Midwest connection,it should be included in the personal statement.
- Copies of any forensic psychiatry publications and accepted presentation abstracts
- The individual’s curriculum vitae
Individuals applying for the Mossman Research Award are encouraged but not required to submit a research based abstract that we will consider for inclusions in the presentation program at the 2021 meeting in Minneapolis, MN. Please refer to thecall for abstracts for specifics.
Deadline for 2021 TBD. Completed applications for The Mossman Research Award are due via email to Cathleen.Cerny@uhhospitals.org. Please indicate “Mossman Research Application” in the subject line.
Questions can also be emailed to Cathleen Cerny at Cathleen.Cerny@uhhospitals.org